Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson


Back-Story: I read Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour when it first came out and although I wasn’t blown away with it I liked it enough to read another of Morgan Matson’s works.

Review: The book is okay. It starts off really slow and overall it isn’t that interesting. It goes back and forth between what’s going on now to what happened five summers ago. Taylor’s dad is dying of cancer and the family decides to come to their summer house in the mountains for some family time. It’s been five summers since Taylor has seen her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend. It’s an emotional book about how Taylor has to deal with her father dying and reacquainting herself with her childhood friends. The book is kind of like a mixture of A Walk to Remember and The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.

Looks: I like the cover a lot. It’s what drew me to read the book.
Content: There isn’t anything really bad in it, but the inevitable ending is sad and will make you want to cry.

Likes: I mostly liked the characters a lot. The only one I had a problem with was Gelsey because she's just really annoying, but the book was easy to read even though it dragged in the beginning. It did pick up a little bit towards the middle and end.

Dislikes: Wasn’t really that entertaining and it was missing the umph I was looking for.

Overall: If you like Morgan Matson’s writing then I recommend it, but if you want to be blown away and fall in love then I wouldn’t say this is the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment