Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle


Let is Snow is one book with three short stories inside it. Each story is written by one author and they all connect together. Because there are three stories I'm going to review each one separately and then do an over all review.

The first short story is called The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson. The main reason I wanted to buy this book was because of Maureen Johnson. I am a huge fan of hers and I've read almost everything she's written and I've been dying to read this. The short story is about a girl named Jubilee. She's being sent to her grandparents for the holidays, but while on the train down to Florida the train gets stuck in a storm and Jubilee gets off and walks to a Waffle House to wait. While she's waiting there she meets a guy and ends up over at his house spending the holidays with his family. It's a cute story, but it lacked Maureen's humor a lot in the beginning. Towards the end there was the humor that she puts in every book, but I feel like it wasn't her best writing. It could just be because it's a short story that she couldn't really put a whole lot into it, but that would be my only complaint about it.

The second short story is called A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green. I've never read anything by John Green before, but I've been wanting to. This short story was a good sample to get to know his writing. The story starts off right away with a bunch of humor, but sadly it isn't my type of humor. It was a bit crude and it really felt like John sat down and went, "Okay. These are the jokes I want to tell, now I have to work them in the dialogue." It felt like all the jokes were coming so fast and together that they just didn't seem to fit, and it felt very rushed. By the middle and the end though, the humor seemed to slow and came naturally, and once it got to that point I really enjoyed the book. I would say that this is my second favorite of the stories because it's a good story line with it taking place at the Waffle House with a bunch of cheerleaders. (It picks up where Maureen leaves off.)

The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle is the third and last short story. This story was actually my favorite. The first two stories were about people getting together, but in this story it's about them already being together. It's really cute the way things work out and I love the humor Lauren gives it. It was nicely placed and felt natural, but the main character got annoying at one point. Her friends keep telling her she's self-absorbed, so the character just keeps talking and talking and freaking out about being self-absorbed which proves that she's self-absorbed. It isn't highly annoying, but at that one point I was just like "Really?". This story was actually more predictable than the others (All Christmasy things are), but it was still an enjoyable read even though you knew what was coming. I really liked the ending a lot because all of the characters from the first and second stories came in and it was one final chance to hang out with them all before the book ending. It was really nice.

Overall, I recommend this book. It's cute and quick to read and it's a nice Christmas story. I have rarely come across Christmas books for the YA genera and I cherish them while I can. It puts you in the mood for Christmas and it just makes you want to wrap up in a blanket and drink hot chocolate while reading it. I really hope the authors make another installment and do a part two, but with a different set of characters. I think that that would be a pretty cool thing for them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment