Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson


I don't know what to say about this book. It was interesting and fast paced, and it was disappointing and boring all at the same time. The book starts out at a party and then leads to Norway and fishing boats. It's all good and interesting learning about how weird the people are acting, and the interactions between Elsa and Tuck. But then you get to the middle and it's just boring.

One of the things I didn't like was that Tuck would never let Elsa fight. He always tried to get her to stop and prevent her from fighting. While it's romantic that he doesn't want to her get hurt, it was annoying that he wouldn't let her do anything remotely dangerous. To me, a guy has to treat a girl equally and if she wants to fight, let her fight.

Another thing that was annoying was that within what seemed like 12 hours, there were so many confrontations. It basically went like this:

6:00 PM Confrontation with Astrid
6:30 PM Follow Astrid
7:15 PM Confutation with Astrid
7:45 Follow Astrid
8:30 Confrontation with Astrid

I kid you not. That is literally how it went. Confrontation, follow. Confrontation, follow. And each time nothing interesting happened.

What should have happened was a confrontation and a follow, then go home and form a plan before coming and fighting her. There was also a surprising twist with Tuck that I feel like could have been played more, and annoyingly, the twist was never solved in the book. We read about the plot twist and that's it. It annoyed me to no end because we go through the rest of the book like it never even happened when obviously it was a big deal. The author could have made that twist come sooner and gone into more detail and more drama. I'm not sure if there's going to be a second book or not. I've tried googleing and checking goodreads, but I can't find an answer. The book leaves an opening for a second book, and I think a great plot for it would be the twist with Tuck. I hope there will be a second book because it's a refreshing change to have Norwegian Mythology instead of Greek. If there is a sequel, I will definitely read it and I even recommend this book because overall it was good, but it could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment