Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick

What a crazy ride!

I first want to start off this review with a few comments about my opinion before reading.

When this book was first announced, I didn't want to read it. I thought it sounded creepy and scary and I am very much a scardy cat, so I wasn't interested. But this whole year I just kept rembering this book in the back of my mind. I had read the Hush Hush series and I loved it, so I wanted to read this book until I found out how creepy is sounded. Since it was the month of October and all things scary, and since some BookTubers I love were reading it for the book of the month, I decided to give it a try. Before I bought the book, I read and heard of a lot of people loving it. Then when I bought the book, I read and heard of a lot of people hating it.

The second thing I want everyone to know, is that while reading this book, I kept a very open mind. Now onto my review!

I looooooooved this book. And I loved it so much I put eight o's in it. I really really liked it. I'm not sure if it's just because I usually root for the underdogs, and I felt like this book was getting a lot of hate, or if it's really as good as I say it is. But anyway, I thought this book was well written with good characters and good development. Is this book creepy and scary? Not really. Is it something that I would recommend as a good Halloween read? Possibly. If you're dying for a book that will scare the crap out of you, this isn't it. But that doesn't mean the book isn't good. It's really good. It's just not a psychological read. I also think that this book would be a great movie, and I know a lot of people will hate on that comment, but I could totally see it on Lifetime.

So now there are a few main points I want to address.

1. Britt

A lot of people are saying Britt is a spoiled brat, etc. I didn't really see her as that. I don't think she acted like a brat at all. She did talk about how she depended on the men in her life a lot, but I don't think that's really all out of the ordinary. And she wasn't annoying to me either like a lot of people are saying.

2. Britt and Koribe's friendship:
Their friendship was terrible and it sucked. The writing didn't suck. It's their relationship that did. In every single book I've read, it's always the girl and her best friend that are so close it makes you want a friend like that, and then something happens and the two hate each other and have a fight before becoming friends again in the end. This book wasn't like that. The two were friends, and considered each other as their best friend, but they didn't act like they were. I liked how the book showed a broken friendship. It was something I could relate to and I have a feeling a lot of girls can too.

3. Britt and Calvin
This section may be a spoiler depending on how you look at it. So if you don't want to know anything, then you might want to skip to point four. If you're still here, then let me just say that Britt and Calvin's relationship is exactly how a relationship shouldn't be. It was false and manipulative, and made me sick, but I am glad that Becca Fitzpatrick wrote about it. I hope that some girls will be able to relate and realize that they are so much more and worth so much more and deserve so much more.

4. Character Development
I legit saw some great character development. Sometimes when I'm reading books, I don't always catch the development happen because it's so subtle, but with this book it was greatly obvious and it was like I felt myself changing along with the characters.

5. Other Reader's Reviews:
A lot of the quotes taken from the book and put into reviews are taken out of context. I would just like everyone to know that. I read a review that took a quote out of the book, and was like 'wow okay. that's why everyone is upset.' but when I read it for myself in the book, I felt like that's not the way it should be interpreted at all. Just keep that in mind while you're reading reviews.

Overall, I thought the book was amazing with twists on every page. I definitely recommend it and think the author deserves some recognition. It's completely different from her other books, and different from what's on the market right now. A lot of people are complaining about it being slow in the middle, but I don't know what any of them are talking about. I didn't feel like it was slow at all. It had a good pace and I felt like every chapter deserved to be in there. Give it a chance, and I think you'd like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment