Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

2014 Debut Authors Bash - Of Breakable Things by A. Lynden Rolland

Hello Everyone!
 
Today is September 22 and I come to you all with a new tour and debut author! Below you will find the book and synopsis along with purchase links and an exclusive interview with the author! Check it out!

 
A captivating debut about the fragility of life, love, and perspective.

When Chase dies tragically, Alex embraces her own mortality. What she didn’t expect was that she’d have to make a choice: forget the years of pain and suffering once and for all, or linger as a spirit and get another chance at life and love.

Alex doesn’t hesitate to choose; she’d follow Chase anywhere. But the spirit world is nothing like she expected, and Alex finds she's forced to fight for her life once more. For even in a world where secrets are buried much deeper than six feet under, a legacy can continue to haunt you—and in a place this dangerous, no one is resting in peace.


Exclusive Interview with A. Lynden Rolland
 
1. Where did the inspiration for Of Breakable Things come from?

The idea for Of Breakable Things came to me gradually. I’ve always had a problem with emotions- showing either too much or too little. Emotions are so powerful. Think about how much you love something, and how much you hate something. Think about all the energy it takes to feel, and all the energy of your thoughts and intelligence and talent. I couldn’t imagine that when the body died all of that energy disappeared into thin air. What if your energy continued to exist in the form of a projection? Then, I had characters that just overtook my mind. Alex was first- breakable, tragic little Alex. Chase appeared beside her one day (fittingly) holding her hand. His brothers elbowed their way in soon after (they’re pushy like that).

2. Would you rather the book be a movie or a show?

As long as it’s done well…either. There are so many psychedelic aspects to a mental afterworld, I’m afraid a production would either be very cheesy or very expensive.

3. Do you like to write in order or write as scenes come to you?

Typically, I write in order, but sometimes I feel the need to write a completely random scene. Usually this happens at the worst times, like when I’m driving or when I’m sleeping or at the gym. But if I have the inspiration for a new scene or idea, I run with it.

4. What advice do you have for writers?

You amaze me! Wait, that’s not advice. But I’m fortunate to meet a lot of very young writers, and I’m enamored by their talent, creativity, and enthusiasm. Don’t listen to the naysayers. If you have a story, write the freaking story. Don’t let the opinions of others change your characters or their actions. It’s yours.

5. What was the hardest thing to edit out of Of Breakable Things?

The scenes between Alex and Chase when they were little. That relationship just writes itself, and it’s a beautiful concept that two people could love one another from the second they are born. Chase won’t walk until Alex walks, and Alex won’t speak until Chase speaks. Even a critic like Chase’s older brother Kaleb says he doesn’t believe in love, but he believes in whatever exists between Alex and Chase.

6. Who was your favorite character to write about?

Oddly, Jonas because he’s such a jerk! It’s refreshing to be able to say things I don’t usually say, and think a different way than usual, as well. He’s tough, but he bleeds just like the rest of us.

7. What is in your TBR pile?

Mortal Danger by Anne Aguirre, Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff, and Imperfect Chemistry by Mary Frame.

8. Do you create a playlist while writing?

Absolutely. I’m obsessed with music, all kinds. I finished the sequel to Of Breakable Things at the beginning of the summer, and I’ve been setting songs aside because I don’t want to listen to them until it’s time to edit (I don’t want to waste any creative juice). One of my favorites is by this band Lily and the Pearl, and the song is called Snowglobe. There’s a scene between Alex and Jonas in book 2 that this song epitomizes perfectly.

9. Tea or coffee?

Coffee! It’s my happy place and my comfort food. I happen to be drinking it now at 10 pm.

10. What can we expect from you in the future?

Hopefully, a lot. I have so many ideas, and I’m as dramatic as they come, so if you like drama, you’ll love me. I take my time though because I want my stories to be exactly what they should be. Of Breakable Things is the first in a series— Alex and Chase have much to say and do. I’m also working on a contemporary now about a kid who moves to a small town where the teenagers rule the law.

Purchase Links:
 

AbeBooks.com: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13869041102&searchurl=%26amp%3Btn%3DOf%2520Breakable%2520Things%26amp%3Bclickid%3DwGN1kFyi82Ie1ri2ydTs3R14UkQWkuwt3WdtUw0%26amp%3Bcm_mmc%3Daff-_-ir-_-64613-_-77798%26amp%3Bafn_sr%3Dimpact

BookDepository.com: http://www.bookdepository.com/Breakable-Things-Lynden-Rolland/9781939765154?&a_aid=goodreads

Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/of-breakable-things

!ndigo.com: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/advancedsearch/?sc=Of+Breakable+Things&sf=Name&facetIds=321011&sortKey=Default&sortDirection=0&ps=Books_Section

Half.com: http://search.half.ebay.com/Of-Breakable-Things_W0QQtgZproductsQQmZbooks

Indiebound.com: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781939765154

No comments:

Post a Comment